multiple outer (left) joins

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
jgould4857

multiple outer (left) joins

Post by jgould4857 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:53 am

We are using R&R for Windows, SQL Edition Version 12, Build 12.5.000____We have some membership statistical reports that are run monthly. There are three table joins using a "skip" relationship. We have two exception tables that need to be incorporated into the report. We still need the member information even when there are no exception records.____I linked the first exception table using a left join. Works perfectly. When trying to link the second exception table, the join "Options" are grayed out. I remember in the old RR SQL, we were limited to two outer joins. Are we limited to one outer join in 12.5? ____My alternatives are to dump the tables to DBF and write a final report using XBase R&R, or have IT create a new (combined) exception table... could take months, maybe years. Please save me from these options. ____Please help. __

kfleming

=> RE: multiple outer (left) joins

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:07 pm

The available join styles depend on the ODBC driver.__We frequently use the export option to DBF and use the Xbase designer when we are creating reports for clients as a way around this limitation. You can use Rapid Runner to automate the process of running each intermediate report in turn so once it is set up, it is easy to maintain and run.____Kathleen__R&R Support

ABessey

==> RE: multiple outer (left) joins

Post by ABessey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 am

Can you name any ODBC Drivers that R&R can use which support multiple Left outer joins and are Microsoft sql 2005 compatibility (90) Compliant ?____Will future versions of R&R use fully comlpliant left Outer joins__Ie Not "*=" and "=*" that will work with Microsoft sql 2005/2008?____Remming DataSourceOuterJoinStyle is not a safe option , as older reports with multiple left outer joins return a cartesian result__showing the joins in grey.____Andrew