new master file for a report

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Gail_Knowles_(Guest)

new master file for a report

Post by Gail_Knowles_(Guest) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:02 am

I have a report with Master file, and 5 or 6 related files.__I want to keep what is there, and insert a higher level file as the master file, and demote the current master file to a related file.____Is this possible?

kfleming

=> RE: new master file for a report

Post by kfleming » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:12 pm

There is no easy way to get there (unless the new master has the same table structure as the old master.__You could however add a relation in the report from the current master file back to itself. (It would be helpful to link on the field that you will be using to get to this guy once you have the new master).__Then change all of the other relations in the report to use the fields from this new related table so that you have only one relation from the master. You will also need to change any calcs or totals to reference the related clone.__Once all of that is done, you should be able to change the master table to the new table that you want as the master.____Or alternatively,build a new table that has both the fields from the current master and the fields from the new master. (This can just be an empty table structure.) Then make this guy the master table, add the relation to the old master, switch any references you need and then finally change the master from the dummy table to the real new table.______Kathleen__R&R Support

Gail_Knowles_(Guest)

==> RE: new master file for a report

Post by Gail_Knowles_(Guest) » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks - I^ll give the frist method a try. The report is fairly complex, so this will be better than rebuilding it entirely.