Page Setup not Saving with XP/RR8+

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
ohiopyle

Page Setup not Saving with XP/RR8+

Post by ohiopyle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:34 am

For years under RRv8 or RRv9/Win98 and HP Laser printers we could reliably set the "Size" and "Source" under "Page Setup" and when reopening a saved report the settings would also be saved and restored.____Under XP R&R does not seem to reliably save these settings with the report, often putting them back to "Automatically Select".____I^ve tried opening the report under xp and saving it. I^ve also tried creating new versions under xp from scratch with the same frustrating results.____This is a disaster for our production floor since we set different bins and paper types for packing slips and invoices etc all day long! And they^re new computers (this week) are finally XP!____Does anyone have experience with this problem?____

kfleming

=> Page Setup not Saving with XP/RR8+

Post by kfleming » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Are you opening the report on the same machine where the report was saved?____Kathleen__R&R Support

ohiopyle

==> RE: Page Setup not Saving

Post by ohiopyle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 pm

Yes, same machine, that^s what^s driving us crazy. We knew from past experience that opening the report on a different machine with a different printer driver would cause the bins to goto default.____But in this case it^s the same machine(s) (tried on many & multiple machines).____One of the many XP drivers we^ve tried is the "HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL"____All done from the same machine:__1. Open the report __2. Set the source & size under Page Setup __3. Save the report __4. Close R&R __5. reopen the Report __6. Check Page Setup __(more often than not - back to defaults)__

ohiopyle

Post by ohiopyle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I also made a report in Crystal(which we also use, sorry) and Word & Excel on the same machine and set the size & Source and saved & reopened on the exact same machine. And crystal remembers the settings with no problems ;)____So it^s not the machine.____

ohiopyle

Post by ohiopyle » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:37 pm

Kathleen,__I replied to your question in a previous post, but was also wondering, if this was an inherent problem with R&R version that we^re running and if we upgraded to Infinity would that solve our problem?__Steve____>Are you opening the report on the same machine where the __>report was saved? __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support __

kfleming

===> RE: Page Setup not Saving

Post by kfleming » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:02 am

How many trays/page sizes are available on the machine?____The problem is indeed on the R&R side but it is the particular environment that causes this bug to manifest itself.____Kathleen__R&R Support

ohiopyle

====> RE: Page Setup not Saving

Post by ohiopyle » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:23 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-07 AT 07:25 PM (EST)]Only one additional 500 sheet tray (Tray 3) is installed.____This brings the total trays to 3 (counting the manual feed tray and the standard 2nd tray)____There are only the standard paper types that are installed with the driver plus one additional custom paper size that we define via the printer control panel configuration as; "HangTags" as 8x14.____It sounds like you may have an idea?

ohiopyle

====> RE: Page Setup not Saving

Post by ohiopyle » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Any additional thoughts on how we should proceed? upgrade/patch/workaround etc?____Any advise appreciated, (trying to avoid a rewrite to crystal...)____Steve____>How many trays/page sizes are available on the machine? __>__>The problem is indeed on the R&R side but it is the __>particular environment that causes this bug to manifest __>itself. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support __

BitcoinplaYLET

=====> RE: Page Setup not Saving

Post by BitcoinplaYLET » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:56 am

XP is very "security" conscious (sorry, not supposed to be funny).____Try installing and setting-up your R&R work as an Administrator. Do not logon as Administrator, but rather setup the production user as an Admin and go "through the motions" of running production. If everything works OK, try setting the user back to whatever level you normally use.____HTH____B+__HALinNY

ohiopyle

======> RE: Page Setup not Saving

Post by ohiopyle » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:21 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-07 AT 02:23 PM (EST)]Thanks for the tip. It doesn^t effect the problem oneway or the other.____I also tried it logged in as admin, and also with no luck. ____It^s something inside R&R that^s not compatible with XP^s method of describing the additional printer settings.____I^d love to if the latest versions of R&R exhibit the same problem, or am I the only one on the planet who needs to change paper trays and have them "stick" with the report?____Crystal Reports is calling my name but I^m trying not to listen...____