Windows XP problems

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Dan_Farnham

Windows XP problems

Post by Dan_Farnham » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:29 am

Is there any known incompatibilities with RR 8 and Windows XP? I have had an application running without fail on all versions of Windows up until XP. RR seems to lock up with an item on the taskbar something like " - R&R" on the program button. Then, when clicked, Windows XP comes up and says that this program is not responding.

Jeff_Fried_(Guest)

=> RE: Windows XP problems

Post by Jeff_Fried_(Guest) » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:23 pm

I, too, had similar experiences running versions 8 or 9 under Windows XP Pro. When I called to ask if there are any known incompatibilities with Windows XP, I was told no. Wrong!!!!!

kfleming

=> RE: Windows XP problems

Post by kfleming » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:57 am

I am successfully running Version 9 on both XP home and professional editions. What problems are you seeing?____Kathleen__R&R Support

kfleming

==> RE: Windows XP problems

Post by kfleming » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:57 am

What happens if you execute RRWRUN.EXE directly?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jeff_Fried_(Guest)

Post by Jeff_Fried_(Guest) » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:28 am

I tried RRWRUN.EXE directly and it doesn^t seem any different.____The problem I encounter almost always is slow loading, very slow. Sometimes, it appears that it will not load. Then executing another program will seemingly "push it" to come up. This may not be the case when using runtime since I have not encountered issues there. ____Also, sometimes a Microsoft compatibility error message pops up to ask if I want to send the issue to them.____I never had this issue under Windows 2000 and prior versions of Windows.

Bev_Francis

===> RE: Windows XP problems

Post by Bev_Francis » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:19 pm

... just to support Liveware here...____We are running 8.1 RRW and RRWRUN on XP Pro and XP Home in both standalone and networked versions with out any problems. Tell us about the boxes - are they standalone or networked and what printers are defined? And what user rights do you have when you get the problems?____Bev Francis

Dan_Farnham

Post by Dan_Farnham » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:04 pm

The problem could be that R&R is trying to check the printer that was saved with the report.__Send me an email and I will give you an RRWRUN.EXE that might help.____Kathleen__R&R Support__kfleming@livewarepub.com

Bev_Francis

Post by Bev_Francis » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:01 pm

>What happens if you execute RRWRUN.EXE directly? __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ____When I run rrwrun directly, it asks me for the report, then because the setup stuff doesn^t exist, it just fails telling me it can^t locat the database. When I run it on XP Pro, disconnected from the network, it tells me "cannot match printer or port in control file".____Unfortunately, I just became aware of the problem when an agent purchased a new computer with XP on it. So, I tried it on my laptop that has XP Pro installed. As I don^t have it on my network at work, I can^t check the network stuff, but I have selected the report to go to the screen, and I get this error. I even installed Version 9 on the laptop to see if that would help. I can^t preview the report as my printer icon is low-lighted. I have two printers installed on the computer, but none are accessable. I am just wanting to print to the screen at this point.____

kfleming

Post by kfleming » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:10 pm

Dan,____>>I can^t preview the report as my printer icon is low-lighted. I have two printers installed on the computer, but none are accessable. I am just wanting to print to the screen at this point.<<____See if you have the same problem as us. Install any old printer on LPT1, make it something simple that doesn^t need to ^talk^ to the printer during installation. Now see if your RRWRRUN works.____We have a theory that RRWRRUN needs a printer driver before it can work.____Regards____Bev Francis

Dan_Farnham

====> RE: Windows XP problems

Post by Dan_Farnham » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:48 pm

>Dan, __>__>>>I can^t preview the report as my printer icon is low-lighted. I have two printers installed on the computer, but none are accessable. I am just wanting to print to the screen at this point.<<__>__>See if you have the same problem as us. Install any old __>printer on LPT1, make it something simple that doesn^t need __>to ^talk^ to the printer during installation. Now see if __>your RRWRRUN works. __>__>We have a theory that RRWRRUN needs a printer driver before __>it can work. __>__>Regards __>__>Bev Francis ____You were correct in that I need to have a local (lpt1) printer installed, but not only that, it needed to be my default printer to be able to print to the screen. Apparently, RRWRUN looks for a printer driver and port status before looking at the destination (go figure). ____Well, this enabled me to print to my screen, and now I know that it will run on R&R 8 with XP Pro. Now my agent has the error from his Windows XP and R&R 8 stating "invalid or duplicate command line argument".____Any ideas on this???__