Runtime V 8.1 and V 10 compatible

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
ninterdo

Runtime V 8.1 and V 10 compatible

Post by ninterdo » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:31 pm

I have an application that drives the R&R runtime from within Visual Foxpro use the runtime executable. ____All reports are in .RRW format, but for the most part do not use any R&R Functionality that was not present in R&R 6.5 (all are resaves of 6.5 reports.____I just upgraded to RR V 10 and before I install it and move the new app over, I have 3 questions...____1) Will all reports done in 8.1 move to V10 without modification.____2) Will I be able to use Report Designer 10 to modify reports and save them in a format that is compatible with the RR8.1 runtime____3) What are the advantages and pitfalls of upgrading to a newer runtime (I own both 9.0 and 10 but have found 8.1 to be acceptable).

freitas

=> Runtime V 8.1 and V 10 compatible

Post by freitas » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:20 am

I can not answer all your questions, but I create all my reports in 8.1, but run them using 10. The main reason for that is, 8.1 allows the storage of all reports in one file, .RP5 files. Versions higher then that must have seperate reports saved in .RRW files. I perfer to distribute my programs with only one report file. ____As far as avantages goes, there really are many. If you look at what is on the R&R main page, there are links describing what all the main and secondary advanges are. It really is a quality program. I only wish it had the capabilities of saving reports in one file.

ninterdo

==> RE: V 8.1 and V10 runtime

Post by ninterdo » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:46 am

My concern is not necessarily to add functionality, and I have learned to live without the library.____My concern is that it seems that new problems are introduced with each release, and in version 9.0 there were some functions from 8.1 that were no longer supported. Rather than modify 50 reports I just continued to write the reports in 8.1.____So, my question is really, if I install 10.0 (I havent even installed it yet and have it for a few months), am I going to "break" any reports or introduce new issues that will cause problems in the application that drives the runtime.____Like many others, I have an application in Visual Foxpro that drives the R&R Runtime.____So, the basic questions are:____1) If I write a report in V10 can I run it with an 8.1 runtime?____2) If I need to distribute the V 10 runtime, am I going to introduce new issues that were not present in V 8.1.__

Thomas_Freitas_(Guest)

===> RE: V 8.1 and V10 runtime

Post by Thomas_Freitas_(Guest) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:10 pm

There is no simple answer to your questions. First of all, if you distribute Version 10, (after you have updated to 10.0.011), your customers will not see any changes. ____If you create a report in Version 10.0.011 and run it with Version 8.1 runtime, there could be a problem. There are new features in 10 that are not in 8. If you utilize those features and then try to run them in 8, the file is not compatible.____Your choices are to either create and support reports with version 8.1 while using Version 10.0.011 runtime, or Version 8.1 runtime. Or create all new reports in Version 10, using Version 10 runtime.____Until people start using a product, a company can not forsee some of the problems that may crop up. These problems have not been big problems, but problems non the less.______Tom Freitas

ninterdo

====> RE: V 8.1 and V10 runtime

Post by ninterdo » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:34 pm

Can I have version 8.1 and version 10.0 installed on the same machine without encountering problems?

kfleming

=====> RE: V 8.1 and V10 runtime

Post by kfleming » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:18 pm

I have both on my machine. The problem would occur if you wanted to use the OCX or runtime DLL since they exist in a common location.____Kathleen__R&R Support